Friday, February 04, 2005

Day 13: My trip to Borders to find friends and how my seat got destroyed

Well, I learned a very valuable lesson yesterday based on my blog post and that lesson that I learned is this: If you only put philosophical things in a post on a blog, people will be less inclined to read and comment than if you put on it action, unless they are French speaking from a country that is Canada, like my new friend, Esteban. And so now today, I will put my philosophical nature aside, in the hopes that you will read and post once more, but if you do not, I certainly understand that, as well, because we all must post comments only when we feel the timing is right, and that is something each and every blogger must respect and nurture.

So today I took the advice of a new friend blogger who is named Rob the Webkahunah and is in the tourism industry, so he has a great deal of experience in making and gaining friends that he wants to have. He suggested I go to the book store and meet a friend there and so I decided to go to a store that is called Borders, because they like to make their books have borders on them, and the name Barnes and Noble was already taken.

I walked inside and stood by the register for a moment, as I did not know what section would best find me the most friends, but a very kind man came to me and asked how he could help and so I told him what Rob the Webkahunah told me and he seemed to think I ought to try a section that he called "Self Help," although I did not see this written anywhere, but I could have missed it as my eyes don't always like to read signs and such.

Well, I made myself a very nice little seat out of some of the larger books, and just got comfortable, waiting for my new earth friends. It seems I waited a while when no one was there, and this enabled me to even make arm rests on my book seat, but then a woman with very nice looking heels came in and appeared to plunk herself down near the section which seemed to have a lot of books about how to get over your self-defeating habits. I thought this might be a nice way to start making her my friend, and so I asked what self-defeating habits she had. She didn't really answer me very well, and said something like, "Well, you know."

But I didn't know, and so I asked her again. She then shrugged and smiled at me and turned her back on me so that I could no longer see her face, but I could still see her pretty heels which looked like little red playground slides on her feet. So I left my cozy seat I'd made of the books and walked to face her face, and asked her again what self-defeating habits she had that she wanted help with, and that maybe we could become best friends and I could help her with that.

Well, it seems the lady was not in the mood to shop for friends along with her books, so she put the book down and said she had to go. I followed her out of that section because I thought she could maybe show me some more books that maybe could help me find closer friends, but she seemed to have to go somewhere only by herself without me, so I was told to let her go and then I walked back to my area.

But it seems when I got back to my book area, my little seat had been dismantled by someone who called himself an employee of the Borders. And so it came to be that I had a feeling that was not too dissimiliar from what I call "frustration", so I knew that it would not be right for me to take out this feeling like frustration onto any new friends that I might meet later in the day, so I understood that it was time to leave.

So now I am back to the place where I reside and I feel quite a little bit sad that the Borders employee took away my seat when I was only trying to be comfortable when I was on my lookout for new friends. So I think that finding friends in a bookstore is a very intelligent idea and I think I will try this again, but when I have no feelings of sorrow or something akin to frustration. However, for my first visit, I think that I have failed and I don't like to blame others, but I must say I feel the Borders employee who took away my book seat with the arm rests is partially to blame even if he offers gift wrapping as a free service that is complimentary to all.

Love,

Orch

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

A unique writing style. I love it. It reminds me of some of the flap books that I had read with my kids when they were younger. I couldn't wait to uncover the link and see the picture.

... I'm still smiling. Thank you.


Take Care
Michael

4:27 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Wow--well, Michael, you have just made my day because it's days like these that I just need one made.

6:46 PM  
Blogger "THE" Rob Cerio said...

Oh, my... I'm sorry you got your seat dismantled, Orchard, (although I should point out that Barnes and Noble has big, comfy chairs, eliminating the need to build or dismantle one.) But I am glad that you will try this again when you feel up to it. Sections that I have found most conducive to meeting others:
The science fiction section
The comic book section
The cookbook section (Good opening line: I don't know how to cook... is there a book you could recommend?)
The humor section
The travel section (strike up a conversation about whatever place they seem to be looking at)

Rob the Webkahunah

9:46 PM  
Blogger rg said...

I agree with Admiral Sprot. There are quite a number of great books that can spark the urge to talk them over with a friend. (Have you read the Picture of Dorian Gray?... I could blabber on all day long about the irreversibility of evil imprinted in a man's soul.)

If you'd allow me to criticize your technique... I'd say it was a bit poor... but don't worry, you're still a n00b (newbie). Besides, people can feel embarrased by talking about self-defeating habits (hence the 'Well, you know' response).

Anyways, too bad your attempt didn't work today, but who knows,... maybe it will soon!

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home