Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Day 11: My new plan for a best friend and how the phone is getting in the way

Well, I just read a very interesting article on another site by my new blogger friend, RdTurpin from the US. I was referred there by Rolandog, whom you all know by now, and the article was all about sex and abstinence, and it got me to thinking about this:

Will a girl who is just trying to have a journey of adventures and experiences, but who hasn't made too many earth friends, ever get married and have a kid that is from herself? Well, I could have thought about this for a while, but then I remembered how there are other countries in this world, and in those countries sometimes they have little babies and older children who just don't have homes, with names like Mirta, and I thought to myself, what a great idea to take one of those children who has no home and give him or her a home in the US where I live and have love, and have that child have a nice home and also be my best friend?

Well, I called up an agency, whose name they said not to use here in my blog, so I won't because I do want to protect their rights and not get them mad at me, but when I told them my plan, they seemed to think maybe I had the wrong motives for wanting to bring a child from a country like Guatemala maybe, over to a country like where I am. They asked me a lot of questions, and some questions even reminded me of the man at the DMV yesterday, and they weren't even sure I should come in for an appointment yet.

So now I'm supposed to think about it, and figure out if I have the finances to care for a new best friend baby from a country where the baby's parents don't want her or him, and also to see if I have a support network other than the blog world, because they did not seem to think the blog world would help babysit the best friend baby when I had to go out to do errands without the best friend, and so that is where we left it.

And now I'm beginning to wonder if using the phone to ask an important question is such a good idea. Because it's now been two days in a row when I've tried to really get to the bottom of something very important and instead have just been asked a lot of questions by a woman and man at the DMV, and now a woman at this agency that I will respect, but that I must admit does good work for other people who want to bring a new best friend baby into this country called the United States of America.

Love,
but a bit frustrated with the phone system,
Orchard




8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a friend. She worked at the DMV. She never once told me her name. Forever to her, I was just "Bumpy".


- Bumpy Antigua

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUMPY! Is that you!


love, your DMV lady friend

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DMV lady? Is that you!? I've search far and wide for years to find you!? Why, just last week, I turned over every rock in my back yard looking for you. Finally, my neighbor came over and asked, "Do you really think she could fit under one of those?" And, the truth is, I hjadn't really thoguht about it at all until he asked me that. So now I need to know DMV lady, were you hiding under one of those rocks in my back yard?


- Bumpy

4:50 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Well, I am hoping to believe that Bumpy and the DMV lady really are united now and that I could have been a part of that. If they are, they don't seem to want to give their emails, so I don't know how they can reconnect in the real world, but they are welcome to use my site as a base point for them.

But I fear--and I hope that I am wrong because I don't like to be right about things I don't like the outcomes of--that maybe someone is making fun of me in these entries, and that could hurt a girl's feelings if she is being made fun of when she is not even sure she is. So I'm going to believe that Bumpy and the DMV lady are just lost friends who found each other on my blog, because if that's the case, then this blog would be worth all the time I have spent on it right now, because it brought two people together who never really wanted to be that far apart.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

I just had another thought as I read over Bumpy's and the DMV's words to each other: Maybe they're not making fun of me, but maybe they're just having a little fun? And if they are really uniting or are having a little fun, then who am I to be hurt by such a well-intended gesture of love and goodness to me on my site which is just about a girl finding friends of her own?

5:32 PM  
Blogger [ - Aswin - ] said...

Hey OD..
These thoughts are nice. But its practicality is what we have to think. Sometimes it will be 'fun' , 'exciting' at the start.. But we need to go on and make it count. Also the busy schedules we have in this world keep away many of our dreams :(

11:21 PM  
Blogger Alejandro Valdivia said...

It is definitely worth the while you spend writing, I enjoy it very much and, frankly, I wish there were more people who question things the way you do. Thanks for that.
Cheers

11:28 PM  
Blogger "THE" Rob Cerio said...

Orchard,
There is an old chinese curse that says "may you live in interesting times" Are you sure you want your life to be as interesting as it's lible to get having to care for a child from a third world country?

I applaud your initiative in your quest for new friends, but if you want to develop real-life ones a bit more, I would recomend going to your nearest bookstore, and browse the section that most interests you till you find someone of similar interests to strike up a conversation with. I would also recomend reading "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnagie.

Count me as a new friend,

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home