Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Day 10: My theory about the US proved by the DMV

Well, it appears that when I woke up this morning, I looked at my blogs from my best friend bloggers, like rolandog, who is a dude who also documents his own weird journeys, and Aswin, who has his addiction to F1Time and Alejo who displays many thoughtful pictures and ideas about things in Spanish, and it got me to thinking about this:

Why are my best friends only bloggers who live in countries like Mexico and India? I have found great heart in these new ties, and I would not trade them in for the world, but at times, I wonder, why does no one in the US want to leave their real name? It seems that by chance I was born into the US and therefore it is easier to meet people who live in that same country that I was born into. And it also seems that they are the ones who do not want to give their private information so that I can become great friends with them.

I think it is because the United States of America, at times, might imply that privacy is more important than when a girl just wants to find a friend so she will just have a friend to hang out with.

So this morning, I called the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in the county in which I reside, because when I got to thinking about it, I really didn't think the United States Government would hear all that I had to say and give me a quick response, because they really do try their best over there and have to work long hours away from their families that they have borne. But the DMV, I thought, might help because they are there to serve all of us in our own county and also our cars.

When I talked to the lady at the DMV and explained my dilemma of the privacy issue of the US, she seemed to not want to help me at first. So I had to call back a few times, and then after I started talking to her the fifth or sixth time, she seemed very concerned, which I thought was about time, and put me on hold. Then a man came on and liked to ask me questions like, "What are you getting at?" And "what is your question?" And "why are you calling the DMV?"

Well, this became a bit frustrating to me, because I had already explained all these answers in great detail to the lady and she finally had concern for my issue, and then I had to tell them all over to the man again and try to win him over to my problem. But I could tell he did not want to help me, and really it just made me sad because it was then that I knew my theories about the US and privacy and friends were right all along.

Love,
Orchard

11 Comments:

Blogger rg said...

Oh, Orchard... you are too kind. I hope we can certainly become old-time buddy bloggers =)

I didn't know Alejo was as old as I am. Aswin's blog is nice, though I'm too busy to find out about the F1Time game... for I only slept two hours today... and I'll be sleeping in a bit early today.

Well, I think I'll focus my ramblings so that I comment about your post!

why does no one in the US want to leave their real name?I think people in the US can share their names with others only if they trust them. I knew The Good Wife from the blogging world, we've been good friends and have even swapped snail-mail with her.

But she is a nice example of a normal person that creates an online persona in order to virtually shout about things that are sometimes left unsaid in the real world.

I prefer making all my information available. You can say that I have an internet persona that has an awkward resemblance to my actual self... and I like making sure that both sides are consistent with each other. So I prefer having a clean record and I leave all the deviant, nasty thoughts to remain forever imprisoned in my head.

6:23 PM  
Blogger QuentinCompson said...

Amen! What is the deal with people not using their real names?

It's ridiculous, Orchard, and I'm happy that you took a stand and pointed out this unfortunate trend.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Alejandro Valdivia said...

Fear, we are all afraid of finding ourselves (or to be found), that's what I think it is. I'm glad someone notices this things too! --By the way, did the guys at DMV, when they answered the phone, gave you their names?--

1:19 AM  
Blogger [ - Aswin - ] said...

The Issue of Identity and Identity Thefts are more relevant in the recent times and that maybe the reasons why most of us prefer anonymity. Infact if not for the friends i made through the net, i would not have started my community blog. Whats the use if my friends cant identify me? :))

By the way.. RolanDog.. F1Time is a F1 Management Game.. A Bit tough for noobs.. But if you like Internet Games and F1, you would like it.. Unfortunately I am addicted :(
Cheers..

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Oh, sure, Hector. But classes are important and I value your input into what you are trying to convey to me and the rest of the world about your blog that doesn't even match with the blogger site, but is for a grade.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Just wanted to tell my blogger best friends that the anonymous comment I removed above was just a repeat of what I wrote above, but I forgot to sign Orchard P. Dirk and instead it was on anonymous for a weird reason because I never sign that way, and it would not be a good example if I left one of my comments anonymous instead of Orchard, as that is what I am a strong advocate of, commenting with a name that is your own.

3:30 PM  
Blogger [ - Aswin - ] said...

So you say your Anonymity is gone now.. :))
Funny!!
A lil bit more on your profile would help.
After all.. someone from NY doesnt need to be Anonymous or a FROG :D

11:25 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

This is all true, FutureKid, but I just don't know what else to put on my profile because I'm not a frog and I did say that in my profile, but I suppose if people just look at it and see the frog, they might think I were, but of course, a frog would not have a blog--even though frog and blog look like they would rhyme, but in fact they don't for most people.

I have to admit though, you've touched on something that I am a little frightened of and that is posting my picture because what if people see me and think that I am too ugly for them to want to look at on a blog or if someone thinks I am too pretty and is intimidated and doesn't like my blog anyway. Or what if someone sees it and just thinks I'm an average girl living in this average world and then thinks I must not be worth reading about anymore?

So for now, i guess I'll just leave up my picture of a frog which represents to me how to appreciate life, but maybe one day I will have the courage, spurred on by my best blogger friends, and that will make me able to show more of who I am.

But if you tell me what else you would like to know about me in my profile, maybe I can put something else in there for you, since I do value your thoughts, and I also hope that your F1Game is going well and that you collected the help you needed.

11:53 AM  
Blogger [ - Aswin - ] said...

'Frog' 'Blog'.. Infact they do rhyme. Never thought about it.
By the way, if my comment hurt you, lemme take a trout so that you can slap me with that :). Why i asked you is because of a slight misunderstanding in my part. I have heard of the name Orchard only associated with Apples. And i thought you used your nickname there instead of your original.
And you can call me Aswin. FK is my nick which i use for posting.
If you are not comfortable leaving your Personal Details in the Net, i would appreciate atleast a IM id in your profile. And now if you wonder as to what the hell i am doing advocating all this to you.. here is my foto ;)
http://myf1timefotos.blogspot.com/2004/08/my-foto.html

Take Care Buddy

4:28 AM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Well, it seems I did look at your picture, Aswin, and you appear a very aimable fellow which I think it a good thing to be, only I do not have an IM name as I do not participate in Instant Messages online. But you did not hurt my feelings because I understand where you are coming from, but I can't tell you how much it means to me that you care enough to ask, and really that is all worth it.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home