Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Day 51: My Hello Kitty letters, my pride, and my one lost chance to see Kimmy...

Sometimes we learn things from people giving us bits of their wisdom, sometimes we learn only when those bits of wisdom come into play, such as the street lady who threw her burger at me, and sometimes we learn a lesson only when something very serious and important happens to us, and then it is knowledge for which we have encountered by Life.

Well, the latter of those three options has occured to me today. It has been a very busy week or so since last I wrote, and, as some of you may have guessed, it has had a lot to do with my adventure of keeping the earth friendship with Kimmy that is rightfully mine, even though I have received new blogger-friendship such as
Justin who Speaks on his blog, as he says, and FDV, who is really from Portugal.

And so I have been staking out space near Kimmy's place of residence in the hopes of finding her walking into or out of her living place and really just letting her know about our friendship and all. It has been a difficult process on
my eyes as they tend to close from time to time and I really only saw Kimmy leaving the building one time and that is where my lesson was learned, which I illustrate below:

You see, I have written a great deal of notes on stationary that was 1) Hello Kitty 2) Winnie the Pooh 3) Butterflies and caterpillars 4) lined, college ruled and 5) unlined plain cream resume paper. I have left these notes on all the doors in the residence building, all the windows that I could make my way to, all of the cars in the area, and I have even made a few stand-type things on which to adhere my letters, so they serve as beautiful signs of our friendship.

My notes have caused quite a few
head-turns from the other residents who live near Kimmy, and my pride in the letters cost me my one meeting with Kimmy and I shall never forget this. For one residence ripped out a note that I had taped to his card with gray electric tape, which is rather quite sturdy and sticky, much better than the ones I had taped to his car with scotch tape on previous hours, and he made his way over to me at quite a rapid pace and seemed to be hollering something, which was probably praise to my art work and generosity of spirit toward my friend, Kimmy. And this is when I felt a surge of pride in my letters and allowed the flattery that was to come blind me to realizing that Kimmy was walking out of the door and into her car!

Well, I never did get to even hear the praise from the man with the car, because I ran after Kimmy as fast as I could, but it was too late. She had pulled away and left. My
pride and my desire to hear such a beautiful compliment to my work prevented me from achieving the very thing my work was about of which I was trying to find out about.

And now it seems that the residents of the area in which Kimmy lives are quite overwhelmed with my letters on the nice paper and it has been conveyed to me that I ought to quickly cease my lettering or they shall have to involve other authorities, which I encouraged these people to involve, as I would like to get an answer from someone about Kimmy, to which they responded that they were
not amused with me. But I was not trying to be amusing, as this was rather a serious manner and it hurt me that they would even think I would be trying to amuse them at a grave time such as this.

So that is about where I am at. And my lesson of pride has been taught by Life herself, and I think I shall give up my letter-writing for a time just so that I can feel the effects of my prideful actions, and I shall try to touch base with Kimmy another way, even though she is just such a sweet girl and the sun is shining with the hopes of an answer soon to my friendship, but if I had to sum up my lesson into a nice neat little adage, it would be this:

"Do not allow your pride to blind you from seeing the thing around you which is what you are trying to figure out, for if you accept flattery on your actions, then it may blind you from seeing clearly the thing in which you are attempting to see, and then you could lose your one chance and maybe not even hear that flattery anyway, and then it was not only not worth it for the flattery, but you didn't even get the flattery either and so it really wasn't worth anything, so please, just stay away from that entirely."

Love,
Orchard P. Dirk

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Pride is a silly beast. Sometimes it is really good, like strawberries. MOST of the time, it is like meat flavored ice cream, not the type of thing you want in mass quantities. However, people always think that they need as much pride as they can stuff into themselves...I get drunk off of flattery every time someone offers it to me. You are exactly right too, it does blind you. I really don't have any clever antecdotes right now...so I'm done typing

11:03 PM  
Blogger Orchard P Dirk said...

Yes, meat flavored ice cream is better separated, as meat and ice cream, and I do also wonder if you would put chocolate syrup or gravy on such an ice cream? So I thank you, Justin, for your comment, and making me realize I am not alone, and there is comfort in that, because we are both human, afterall. However, I would like some strawberries.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home